CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 4, 2011

SSS operatives brutalise CBN manager over right of way

Mrs. Justina Thinkan is a senior employee of Central Bank of Nigeria, in Abuja. At the apex bank, she is a manager in the Risk Management Department. She had closed work on Tuesday, hoping to reach home to the warm embrace of her family, prepare dinner for them, and then go to bed.

Even though she reached her home that evening, she did so in pains, thoroughly bruised, following alleged battery and assaults she received from four State Security Service operatives.

Thinkan alleged that they beat her up and dragged her on the tarred road, with one of them threatening to shoot her “and nothing will happen.”

At the end of her ordeal, Thinkan, a mother of three, had a swollen face, and bruises on her arms to show for her encounter with the overzealous state operatives.

The alleged action of the operatives negated the position of the SSS Director-General, Mr. Ekpeyong Ita, who had said the agency under him must stop the culture of impunity and embrace the rule of law, due process, civility and professionalism in line with the country’s democratic temperament.


Ita spoke during the graduation of 46 senior operatives of SSS and other intelligence agencies that participated in the Executive Intelligence Management Course 3 at the SSS-owned Institute for Strategic Studies in Bwari, Abuja, on November 27, 2010.


Thikan told PUNCH METRO that she was caught up in a traffic jam opposite the SSS staff quarters between Water Board and the State House, Abuja, when a man suddenly appeared beside her car, wagged a finger and rained abuses on her for allegedly blocking their right of way to the quarters.


The bruised banker said that she was surprised and demanded the reason for the unwarranted verbal assaults.


But her seeming audacity infuriated the four men in black suit, who then alighted from their vehicle and descended on her. At first, she said only one of them jumped out, before three other operatives joined the first man from a white Toyota Hiace bus with registration number, SH 472.


Thinkan said, “The first SSS personnel abused me calling me all kinds of names. As I was demanding reason for the attack, three others joined him. I came out of my car and one of them slapped me while another held my blouse.


“I asked whether he wanted to undress me in public and I held on to his shirt. They held my hands and dragged me on the ground. When a female colleague of the operatives, who was watching from their bus saw them beating me, she alighted from the vehicle and asked them to leave me.


“I was not the cause of the traffic jam and I was not even blocking the T-junction; they misused their powers because they are security personnel. I won’t take it easy with them.


“I have instructed my lawyer to take up the matter and I will pursue it to a logical conclusion.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment